PLEASE NOTE: In order to set up a FlatWorld Homework integration in BlackBoard you will need the following:
- LTI Access Keys - these keys are generated by FlatWorld to enable your Blackboard to access our Homework platform. Please reach out to FlatWorld Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org with the professor's name, course title, and the book being used to request these keys.
- Proper permissions in Blackboard - the integration can only be configured by someone who has the proper permissions in Blackboard, usually a BlackBoard Admin. It is best for this person to serve as the point of contact for integration setup.
- The instructions/screenshots may be slightly different from what you see in Blackboard depending on whether you are using the Original View or BlackBoard Ultra.
Once FlatWorld Customer Service has provided the LTI Access keys, the integration setup begins with configuring the FlatWorld Homework App in Blackboard.
Configure Initial Settings in Blackboard
- First you will need to verify that you are using a supported version of Blackboard. You must be running v3400.1 or later in order to use the FlatWorld Homework tool. One simple location your version number can be found is in the Administrator Panel. The screenshots in this article were taken from 3800.9.0, so there may be some differences if you are running a different version.
2. Second, you will need to enable support for LTI. Navigate to the Administrator Panel, and select Course Settings.
Under Course Settings, select Course Tools.
Under Course Tools, locate LTI from the list and make sure it is turned on, and that proper permissions are set for its use if necessary.
3. Lastly, you will need to allow the Tool to post grades. Navigate back to the Administrator Panel and select LTI Tool Providers, located under the Integrations section.
On the next page, click on Manage Global Properties. (You can ignore the listed tool providers below, as you will add FlatWorld Homework as a tool provider in future steps).
Under Feature Availability, select Yes for 'Allow configured tool providers to post grades'.
Adding FlatWorld Homework as a Tool Provider
Now that you have configured the initial settings, you will now add FlatWorld Homework to the list of approved LTI Tool Providers.
- Navigate back to the Administrator Panel, and select LTI Tool Providers under the Integrations section. On the next page, click Register Provider Domain.
2. The next page will be the Tool Provider Form. Please fill out the following sections:
- Provider Domain - set to practice.flatworldknowledge.com
- Provider Domain Status - set to 'Approved'
- Default Configuration - switch to 'Set Globally'
- Tool Provider Key and Tool Provider Secret - these will have been provided to you by FlatWorld. If you do not have these keys, please reach out to email@example.com
- Send User Data - set to 'send user data only over SSL'
- User Fields to Send - check all three options
- Allow Membership Service Access - set to 'Yes'
FlatWorld Homework Tool Placement
Once FlatWorld Homework has been added as a Tool Provider, navigate back to the LTI Tool Providers list from the Administrator Panel. You will see practice.flatworldknowledge.com listed (in the below example, it lists practice.flatworldknowledgestaging.com, which is from our demo). In the placements column, click on the '0' from in the practice.flatworldknowledge.com row.
On the following page, click 'Create Placement"
Clicking 'Create Placement' will take you to the Placement Information page.
- Label - FlatWorld Homework
- ˆHandle - flatworld-homework
- Availability - set to 'Yes'
- Type - select Course Content tool, and check Supports deep linking (if using the original course view in BlackBoard, you will want to select Deep Linking Content tool)
- Tool Provider URL - https://practice.flatworldknowledge.com/lti/assignments/select
- Tool Provider Key - should auto populate
- Tool Provider Secret - should auto populate
Click Submit when finished.
Once the Placement is complete, instructors will now be able to access the FlatWorld Homework under the Build Content option.